Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New look, New year, same old?

In Fort Worth, the summer showers got backlogged and decided to atone for their two month long absence in a week. Everything's greener and fuller though. It almost has the feeling of the beginning of spring. What do Texans know about spring, you ask? Well, I did say "almost." Many things look like spring looking out the window of an air-conditioned study. Anyway, the new life springing up all around me has inspired me to regenerate this blog, and so with a new look, new attitude, and, hopefully, new resolution, I embark.

If you remember last year, the Texas summer was marked by uncharacteristic rainfall. The last week of almost constant precipitation takes me back. In '07, I was working with a high school friend to get a pecan orchard started. Behind my parents' house over about 3-5 acres lay an aged, peach orchard that had been abandoned by the previous owners. Building the fence, laying irrigation, and finally planting pecan saplings met with constant interruption from the incremental weather, and the proposed 2 month project swelled to a 6 month ordeal during which working more than 3 days out of 5 was rare. Deja vu during this last week has led me to some self-reflection about what in my life, if anything, is different now than then.

After that frustrating summer, any change seemed good, and a year's worth of working as a sales associate in a kitchenware/interiors retail store put that theory to a true test. I don't regret moving to D/FW from my childhood home, Fredericksburg. Rekindling old friendships, making a niche for myself, even if it had to be at Crate and Barrel, has been a huge boon for me. (And the best things resulting from it have not become apparent yet, I am confident). However, positing that its all happened according to plan...well, ugghh....no.

Ironically, life lived, similar to the weather, often puts a kink in our plans. What do they say? If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. Disappointments from work, home, in love, and withering prospects lead to some overcast and dreary days, regardless of the forecast. The cliche goes, "into everyone's life some rain must fall." I used to think that was said to give solace. "Everyone's life is tough from time to time. You just have to grin and bear it." I don't know any more. I think it should be understood expectantly instead.

Our cirucmstances can leave us drenched and soggy, desperate for a little blue sky, but as the thriving lawns in my neighborhood suggest. The rain's ultimate effect is life-giving, and when the sun breaks through, as its doing right now, the flowers' brilliance will make my future hope a reality. Like April's showers leading May's flowers, the blessings in life don't only make the sorrows worth bearing. They come as a result of the suffering having its full affect.


Question of the Day: What should the new name of my blog be?

3 comments:

Clint said...

The Moistening

Anonymous said...

no stranger to the rangers
cmj

J Stu said...

beautiful. so glad you're back on the links my friend.

blog title: Boontown, USA.